The SS-5 form is simply an application document, prepared by the government, that you need to submit, in order to replace, correct, or get a brand new Social Security Card. That one is important to have, if you want to reap all the benefits from the government services. There are lots of different scenarios for which SS-5 form has to be filled out. The most important one is probably if you are looking for a job. Whether you like it or not, Social Security Number is required for that. Other situations where SS-5 form (application-filing-service.com/socialsecuritycard/form-ss-5/) applies are:
1) You changed your name and you need a new card Whether you changed your name because you wanted to, or because you got married, you will have to correct your Social Security Card
2) Your citizenship status has changed
All the changes in your citizenship have to be reported to the government and your card need to be corrected.
3) You lost your Social Security Card
That one is preety obvious, right?
4) You are going to a doctor
Doctor’s offices use Social Security Numbers for billing and insurance purposes.
5) You want to apply for a credit card
In that particular case, your Social Security Card is used to show the bank, that you are worthy of getting a credit card.
6) You want to get your child or relative dependent on your taxes
It can save you thousands of dollars by reducing taxable income.
The card itself is not being used that often, but it’s necessary to have it.
To be able to successfully submit your application, you need to provide additional documents to prove your age, identity, US citizenship and immigration status, depending on your case. Documents eligible vary in different situations. To check the documents that are currently being used, see the official website of the goverment or visit the office in person. The most common documents are: passport, driver’s license and certificate of birth.
Can you fill out the form online?
Yes, it is possible to do so. To ensure the security of your data, we recommend using ONLY official government websites. To qualify for an online application, you need to:
1) Be a US citizen with the age of at least 18 2) Have a US mailing address. 3) Not be requesting any changes to your card, such as your name 4) Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card
NOTE: REMEMBER THAT SUBMITTING AN SS-5 FORM IS COMPLETELY FREE. IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY OTHER THIRD PARTIES CHARGING YOU MONEY TO DO SO, THEY ARE MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL AND HARMFUL.
The process of submission
It might be a little bit confusing as to when exactly, and how to fill out the form because of all the informations we are being provided with. Although, if you follow the guidelines and read the lines carefully, it will take you no more than 5 minutes.
The new Social Security Card is usually being delivered within 14 business days, from the time your application is successfully processed.